Presenting, by category, the 2009 Excellent People Awards for Outstanding Achievement in Excellency.
1. Architecture: Jacques Herzog and Pierre de Meuron for their Excellent sets for the Metropolitan Opera‘s upcoming production of Verdi‘s rarely heard Attila.
2. Art: Former dealer Jeffrey Deitch for his Excellently controversial, and much deserved, recent appointment as director of the Museum of Contemporary Art in Los Angeles.
3. Beauty: Her Excellency Pat McGrath, Outstanding makeup artist, for CoverGirl Cosmetics.
4. Cinema: Tie: His Excellency Colin Firth for his Outstandingly Excellent performance in A Single Man; Mo’ Nique for her heartbreakingly Excellent performance in Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire.
5. Communications: Messieurs Jean-Luc Dupont and Wade H. Grimbly of Système D press office in Paris. Global fashion PR at its most Excellent. Excellent need-to-know clients: Petar Petrov, Odyn Vovk, and Georgy Baratashvili, among many Excellent others.
6. NOT APPLICABLE. Winner removed. Please see number 7. Hey, that life in all it’s Excellency.
7. Disillusionment: The old friends lost vs. the new acquaintances gained during 2009. Goodbye. Hello. And best wishes for an Excellent 2010 to all.
8. Excellency: The Excellent People.
9. Expectation: The extreme Excellency of The Excellent People: A Memoir, begun in Fall 2009, to be published in Fall 2011.
10. Fashion: Her Excellency Robin Givhan, of The Washington Post, also winner of the 2006 Pulitzer Prize, for her continued Excellent reporting and writing about the wildly wonderful world of style.
11. Hope: His Excellency Barack Hussein Obama, the first light-skinned Black African American President of the United States sans Negro dialect, yo.
12. Icon: Her Excellency Sandra Bernhard. Enduringly Excellent. Perennially Outstanding.
13. Literature: Alice Munro for Too Much Happiness: Stories, also winner of the 2009 Man Booker International Prize.
14. Loyalty: Please see number #7.
15. Lust: South African actor Sharlto Copley. Outstandingly Excellent.
16. Luxury: The 2009 International Herald Tribune Sustainable Luxury conference held in New Delhi, India.
17. Media: Harvey Levin, the Excellent founder of TMZ.com, Excellent internet chronicle of Hollywood life.
18. Music: His Excellency Jason Bentley, program director and host of Morning Becomes Eclectic, at KCRW Radio in Los Angeles, for his Exquisitely Excellent musical tastes.
19. Nostalgia: His Excellency Edmund White for his memoir City Boy: My Life in New York During the 1960s and 1970s.
20. Photography: Dean Sameshima for his Excellent work on view here.
21. Society: Derek Blasberg for his consistently Excellent, glittering café society reports for Style.com and other fashionable publications.
22. Style: Lady Gaga for her dubious and gaggingly overrated and hysterical influence on fashion and music.
23. Technology: The Excellent Nick Knight for his ShowStudio.com, Excellently forcing the fashion world to acknowledge the 21st Century.
24. The Look: Tights under shorts for men. Excellency for your consideration.
25. Theater: Cate Blanchett for her Outstandingly Excellent performance as Blanche DuBois in The Sydney Theater Company’s production of Tennessee Williams‘s A Streetcar Named Desire, presented at the Brooklyn Academy of Music.
26. Thought: What is Excellence?
27. Travel: The City of Angles for its upcoming status as the capital of the art world.
28. Visuals: The Excellent staffs and artists of Peres Projects, Los Angeles and Berlin, for their Outstandingly Excellent program and exhibitions.